(HealthDay News) -- Alternative medicine products may be used instead of -- or in addition to -- standard medical treatments.
Since these products are not regulated by government agencies such as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, it's important to research whether they are safe and effective.
The University of Virginia Health System recommends these precautions:
- Check with your doctor about the therapy or treatment you are interested in.
- Look up information about the product on reputable Internet sites.
- Consult scientific journals on the product.
- Talk to people who have used the therapy to learn about their experiences.
- Research and evaluate any controlled scientific studies about the product.