May 27, 2010
Health Tip: Coping With Sciatica Pain
Suggestions to help get relief
(HealthDay News) -- Sciatica, caused by pressure on the sciatic nerve, leads to pain that may radiate down the lower back, hip, thigh and leg.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons suggests these remedies that may help ease sciatica pain:
- Allow yourself plenty of time and rest.
- Take a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), such as ibuprofen or aspirin.
- Apply a heating pad or cold pack.
- Engage in light physical activity -- as much as is comfortable. Activity helps to reduce inflammation.
- If your doctor approves, consider physical therapy.
- Your doctor may prescribe injection of a cortisone-like drug to help reduce inflammation.