Handle With Care
How to care for your cast
(HealthDayNews) -- If you're nursing a broken limb, the American Academy of Family Physicians recommends some do's and don'ts while you're sporting a cast:
Exercise your fingers, toes, shoulder or elbow joints. Also, keep your broken limb elevated whenever possible.
- Stand or press on your cast for the first 48 hours.
- Wet the cast. If you do, use a hair dryer on a low setting to dry it, but check with your doctor before trying this.
- Stick any objects down your cast. If your skin itches, try tapping the cast.
- Write on it until it's dry.
- Cover it with plastic for any length of time.