Health Tip: Understanding Achilles Tendonitis
It affects the body's largest tendon
(HealthDay News) -- The Achilles tendon is what joins the muscles in the calf to the heel bone. When it is overused or injured, it becomes inflamed -- a condition called Achilles tendonitis.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons says common causes of Achilles tendonitis include:
- Among runners, rapidly running much faster or for longer distances.
- Changing your exercise regimen to include running up hills or climbing stairs.
- Beginning to exercise again too soon after a rest period.
- Very strenuous exercise of the calf muscles, such as during a final sprint.
- Overusing the calf muscles.