(HealthDay News) -- An ingrown toenail usually is painful and may lead to infection. But caring for the problem at home can help prevent complications.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions:
- Three to four times daily, soak the affected foot in warm water.
- Make sure your foot otherwise stays dry.
- Wear shoes that are comfortable and have plenty of room in the toes.
- Take acetaminophen or ibuprofen for pain.
- Call your doctor if the toenail isn't better after about three days.