October 6, 2010
Health Tip: Help Keep Feet Healthy
Suggestions from foot experts
(HealthDay News) -- Your feet have a weighty responsibility, so treat them right to help keep them healthy.
The American Podiatric Medical Association offers these suggestions for taking care of your tootsies:
- Make sure your shoes fit correctly and comfortably; those that have a soft upper area and a sturdy sole are best.
- Go shoe shopping later in the day, when feet are more swollen than in the morning.
- Walking is a great form of exercise for your feet.
- Make sure stockings and pantyhose fit correctly, and choose those without seams.
- Don't try to cut off corns or calluses on your own; see a podiatrist for treatment.
- Keep toenails trimmed in a straight line.
- Scrub your feet each day in warm water and gentle soap, and give them a careful once-over to look for foot problems.