May 27, 2015
Health Tip: Stretch To Help Plantar Fasciitis
And avoid putting weight on the painful foot
(HealthDay News) -- Plantar fasciitis occurs when the band of tissue that stretches across the bottom of your foot becomes inflamed and painful.
The American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society suggests:
- Avoid putting weight on the foot until the inflammation has subsided.
- Ice the bottom of the foot several times per day, for 20 minutes at a time.
- Talk to your doctor about taking a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication to alleviate pain and inflammation.
- Practice gentle stretching exercises of the plantar fascia and the Achilles tendon.
- Add arch supports to your shoes.