April 21, 2013
Health Tip: Understanding Heel Pain
Plantar fasciitis is a common cause
(HealthDay News) -- When your heel starts to hurt, even walking can be difficult and incredibly painful.
The American Podiatric Medical Association says possible causes of heel pain include:
- Heel spurs, which are bony growths that develop on the heel.
- Inflammation of the fascia, known as plantar fasciitis.
- Excessive pronation, or inward tilt of the foot as you walk.
- Achilles tendinitis, in which the tendon at the back of the foot becomes inflamed.
- A deformity, injury or chronic disease, such as rheumatoid arthritis.