July 26, 2015
Health Tip: When Heel Pain is Afoot
Foot injury, bruise or deformity are possible causes
(HealthDay News) -- Pain in the heel may range from a minor nuisance to disabling.
The American Podiatric Medical Association mentions these possible causes:
- Formation of a spur, a non-cancerous bony growth, in this case on the bottom of the heel.
- Plantar fasciitis, in which the thick band of tissue at the bottom of the foot becomes inflamed.
- Pronation, in which the foot turns too much toward the inside. This can stretch ligaments attached to the heel.
- Achilles tendinitis, an inflammation of the tendon that supports the back of the ankle and heel.
- An injury such as a bruise, or a foot deformity.