Health Tip: Don't Let Minor Knee Pain Slow You Down
Help make a sore knee feel better
(HealthDay News) -- Knees can become painful for many reasons, including injury or arthritis. While knee pain that keeps you from walking should be evaluated by a doctor, minor knee pain shouldn't keep you off your feet.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine offers these suggestions to soothe minor knee pain:
- Take it easy on your sore knee. Keep your weight off it, and avoid straining it.
- Ice the knee frequently. On the first day, apply ice for 15 minutes every hour. After the first day, ice it at least four times throughout the day.
- Elevate the knee; try sleeping with your knees propped up on a pillow, or with a pillow placed between your knees.
- Wear a brace or bandage on the knee.
- Take an over-the-counter medication such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen to help ease pain and swelling.