(HealthDay News) -- Regular mammograms are crucial in protecting women against breast cancer.
Here are suggestions to help you prepare for a mammogram, courtesy of Abington Memorial Hospital in Pennsylvania:
- On the day of the mammogram, don't wear any deodorant, lotion, perfume or powder, as these substances may show up on the image.
- Wear comfortable clothing, and try to wear a separate top and bottom since you'll need to remove your top for the test.
- For 48 hours prior to the mammogram, avoid eating or drinking anything that contains caffeine, as it may make your breasts more sensitive.
- Bring any films from previous mammograms with you.
- Bring your regular doctor's contact information, so the results can be forwarded to him or her.