May 1, 2008
Health Tip: Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle
And help reduce your cancer risk
(HealthDay News) -- No one knows precisely why people get cancer, and there's no surefire cure.
But if you maintain a healthy lifestyle, you can help reduce your risk. Here are some suggestions, courtesy of AARP:
- Eat a healthy diet, including plenty of whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Limit intake of red meat, saturated fats, smoked and salt-cured foods, and foods preserved with nitrates.
- Get regular exercise of 30 minutes or more at least five days a week.
- Maintain a healthy body weight.
- If you drink alcohol, do so in moderation.
- Wear sunscreen and avoid prolonged exposure to direct sun during the midday hours.
- Get screened for cancers for which you may be most susceptible.