November 7, 2007
Health Tip: People With Cancer Can Exercise
But check with a doctor first
(HealthDay News) - Not everyone recovering from cancer is physically or mentally able to exercise.
For those who want to try, with a doctor's consent, the American Cancer Society offers these possible benefits of regular exercise:
- Maintain and improve physical strength and balance, as well as muscle tone.
- Improve circulation and reduce risk of blood clots.
- Reduce risk of heart disease.
- Decrease nausea, fatigue, anxiety and depression.
- Maintain and improve independence.
- Increase social activity and contact.
- Improve self-esteem.