Health Tip: Smokeless Tobacco Isn't a Safe Alternative
CDC: It can cause cancer, oral health issues and nicotine addiction
(HealthDay News) -- Some people may think smokeless tobacco is a safer alternative to cigarettes, but experts at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention want to nip that idea in the bud.
The CDC mentions these health issues that can stem from smokeless tobacco use:
- Cancer, notably oral cancer.
- Tooth decay, gum disease, receding gums and other oral health problems.
- If you're pregnant, increased risk of complications, including preeclampsia, low birth weight and premature birth.
- Fertility problems in men, including abnormal sperm and lower sperm count.
- Addiction to nicotine and increased likelihood of becoming a cigarette smoker.