(HealthDay News) -- Microwave ovens, regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, should be safe to use without risking exposure to unhealthy amounts of radiation.
Burns -- from hot containers, overheated food or boiling liquids -- are another story.
The agency offers these tips to help ensure safer use of your microwave:
- Follow all instructions in the manufacturer's manual.
- Use microwave-safe containers. They should never be made of metal or plastic that could melt.
- Avoid super-heated water, which could lead to scalded skin.
- Check for any damage to the microwave's seals, door hinges or latches, any of which could lead to a radiation leak.
- Never use a microwave with the door open.