September 20, 2005
Health Tip: Tanning Lamps Can Harm Your Skin
Here are ways to minimize your risk
(HealthDay News) -- The ultraviolet rays from tanning lamps can be as hazardous to your health as UV rays from the sun.
So if you frequent tanning salons, Health Canada suggests you minimize your risk by:
- Reading the warning labels on sunlamps or tanning beds and following the directions closely.
- Always wearing safety eyewear.
- Having the salon operator recommend an optimal session length based on your skin's sensitivity.
- Allowing at least 48 hours between sessions.
- Making sure there's a physical barrier, such as a clear sheet of acrylic, between you and the tanning lamp.
- Limiting the total number of tanning sessions per year.