(HealthDay News) -- The health benefits of quitting smoking have been well documented. But many people put it off, fearing the inevitable cravings.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services suggests how to manage cravings:
- Keep your hands busy, such as by sorting the mail or washing the dishes.
- Prepare healthy snacks in the morning to have them ready throughout the day.
- Chew sugar-free gum.
- Discover a new activity, such as completing crossword puzzles.
- Take public transportation or ride with a friend, if you associate driving your car with smoking.
- Take deep breaths to help you relax.