(HealthDay News) -- When you're trying to quit smoking, it can be tough to resist the urge to turn to food when you're trying to avoid cigarettes.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics lists these suggestions to help curb weight gain when quitting smoking:
- Keep your hands busy by drawing, knitting or doing puzzles.
- Try to cut back on your caffeine intake, as it's often associated with smoking.
- Get plenty of sleep so you feel rested.
- Instead of taking a cigarette break, go for a brisk walk.
- Have plenty of healthy, convenient foods on hand for snacking, such as low-fat dairy foods.