Health Tip: Ease Varicose Veins
(HealthDay News) -- Varicose veins are swollen, bulging blood vessels that usually form in the legs. And while you may not be able to prevent them, you may be able to stop them from getting worse.
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute suggests:
- If you must stand or sit for long periods, take frequent breaks.
- Don't cross your legs when you sit. And when possible, raise your legs above your heart.
- Get regular exercise, and lose any extra weight.
- Don't wear tight clothing, especially around the waist and legs.
- Skip high-heeled shoes when practical.
- Wear compression stockings if recommended by your doctor.