April 10, 2014
Health Tip: Be a Safe Patient
What to do if you're hospitalized
(HealthDay News) -- Being an educated patient means knowing what to do in the event that you're hospitalized.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these suggestions:
- Don't be afraid to speak up and have open give-and-take with your doctor.
- Wash your hands frequently, and make sure any doctor or nurse washes their hands before touching you.
- Ask your doctor if tests are being done to ensure you get the appropriate medication, including an antibiotic.
- Know the warning signs of infection, and tell your doctor if you have any of them.
- Alert your doctor if you have diarrhea three or more times within 24 hours, particularly if you've been taking an antibiotic.