June 28, 2004
Health Tip: Hospital Wisdom
Suggestions to make your stay safe
(HealthDayNews) -- If you have to spend some time in the hospital, the Virginia Department of Health advises you to:
- Choose a hospital at which many patients have the procedure or surgery you need.
- Take your medicines and a list of your medications with you.
- Ask your doctor to tell you the names of each medication he prescribes and the reasons for taking them.
- Before you take any medicine, make sure it looks like what you usually take. If it doesn't, ask why.
- Don't let anyone give you medications without checking your ID bracelet each time.
- Before leaving the hospital, ask your doctor to explain your home treatment plan.