(HealthDay News) -- Day care centers harbor germs that can be difficult to contain.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine suggests these ways to reduce the spread of illness at day care centers:
- Teach your child, if old enough, to wash his hands after using the bathroom.
- Keep your child home if he is sick.
- Breastfeeding your baby can help strengthen her immune system, which could lower her chances of getting sick.
- The day care center should have strict policies and employee training on ways to reduce germs.
- Diaper changing or disposal should never occur near food preparation.
- All employees and children should be required to have regular immunizations.