Health Tip: Not Everyone Eligible to Donate Blood
Even the healthy
(HealthDay News) -- People who have blood diseases, infections, or other serious medical problems are poor candidates to donate blood, but are healthy donors always welcome?
Not necessarily, the Community Blood Services of Illinois says. Here are common reasons for being turned down as a prospective blood donor:
- Recent dental work or surgery.
- Recent travel outside of the United States, or recent vaccination.
- Recent illness.
- Recent tattoo, electrolysis or piercing.
- Low blood iron levels.
- Weighing less than 110 pounds, or generally being underweight.
- Breast feeding currently.
- Transient high blood pressure or irregularities in your pulse rate.