Health Tip: Brain Exercises
Try these techniques to keep your mind spry
(HealthDayNews) -- Just like your body, your mind needs exercise to remain healthy as you grow older.
One way to keep your brain nimble is to practice a technique called neurobics, which uses your senses to help create new connections in areas of the brain that process sensory input. Done regularly, these simple practices can help keep your mind sharp and ready to tackle new challenges, says a Duke University article.
A neurobic exercise is one that involves the use of one or more or your senses in a novel way, engages your attention, and adds an unexpected element to a routine activity.
Here are some examples:
- Use your non-dominant hand as you go through your morning rituals such as combing or styling your hair, getting dressed, brushing your teeth and making your breakfast.
- Close your eyes as you shower and use your sense of touch to locate your soap and wash yourself.
- Turn the pictures on your desk or shelves upside down.
- Experience new sights and sounds by going to a new ethnic or farmer's market or bakery.
- When you travel abroad, immerse yourself completely in unfamiliar surroundings. For example, go to a small town where no one speaks your language, try new foods and stay in a local bed-and-breakfast.