November 27, 2009
Health Tip: What's Prompting My Seizures?
A list of common triggers
(HealthDay News) -- A seizure is a sudden spurt of abnormal electrical activity in the brain.
While the causes can be varied and complex, the Epilepsy Foundation offers this list of common triggers:
- Missing medications, especially those used to control seizures.
- Changes in sleep routines or lack of sleep.
- Hormonal changes in women, such as during menstruation or pregnancy.
- Abusing alcohol or drugs, or withdrawing from them.
- Stress and anxiety.
- Factors that unpredictably change metabolism, such as diarrhea or vomiting.