How to Combat Sciatica
Prevent pain with better back care
(HealthDayNews) -- Sciatica is pain that occurs along the path of the sciatic nerve, which comes from the spinal column.
Pain from an irritated sciatic nerve usually occurs in the buttocks, hip, and back of the thigh.
According to the Calgary Health Region, here are some ways to prevent sciatic pain or reduce existing discomfort in your lower back:
- Brace yourself if you feel a forceful sneeze or cough coming on.
- Practice safe lifting techniques.
- Avoid standing or sitting in one position for long periods.
- Exercise regularly and include gentle stretching exercises.
- Lighten your wallet and don't carry it in your hip pocket.
- Sleep on your back with a pillow under your knees or on your side with a pillow between your legs.
- Keep your abdominal muscles in shape.
- Wear comfortable, well-fitting shoes.
- Have your bras professionally fitted if you have large breasts as this can put a strain on your back.