Don't leave dandruff untreated
(HealthDayNews) -- Are you constantly embarrassed by white specs illuminating your darkly clad shoulders? While dandruff afflicts virtually everyone to some degree, there's no excuse for ignoring the problem.
Flaky scalps can be fixed. What's more, if you ignore your dandruff, you'll make it worse, according to the University of Minnesota Medical School. Untreated dandruff will lead to even more buildup on your scalp.
Here are some treatment tips:
- Shampoo often, every day if necessary.
- Use a mild shampoo. Dandruff is often causes by an overly oily scalp, so a mild brand will help control the oil without aggravating your scalp.
- If regular shampoos aren't working, switch to an antidandruff formula and lather twice.
- For the most stubborn cases, use tar-based formulas and alternate them with your regular shampoo.
- Pair tough dandruff formulas with conditioner to counteract the shampoo's harsh effects.
- Stop worrying about it. Emotions also play a role in triggering or aggravating skin conditions.