October 26, 2010
Health Tip: Moisten a Dry Mouth
What to do and what to avoid
(HealthDay News) -- Dry mouth is a common annoyance. But when it's chronic, it can indicate a serious health problem.
The National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research suggests how to combat an occasional case of dry mouth:
- Keep water or a sugar-free beverage on hand and drink regularly.
- Avoid beverages that include caffeine, which can be drying.
- Boost saliva output with sugar-free gum or hard candy.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or using tobacco.
- If dry mouth appears related to a medication, speak to your doctor about adjusting the dose or changing to a different drug.
- Run a humidifier at night.