January 7, 2016
Health Tip: Prepare Your Child for the Dentist
How you can help
(HealthDay News) -- Preparing your child for an upcoming dental visit involves a bit of parental planning.
The American Dental Association suggests:
- Making sure your child brushes twice a day. Ensure that kids aged 6 and younger are supervised and have help brushing.
- Scheduling the appointment when your child isn't likely to be tired. For younger kids, don't schedule it during naptime. For older kids, don't schedule the visit after a long school day.
- Allowing the older child -- presumably the one with the most experience -- to go first and serve as a role model for the others.
- Making sure your child has had a snack before the appointment to avoid irritability from hunger.
- Making sure you stay calm, even if your child acts nervous before the appointment.