Health Tip: Signs of Periodontal Disease
Including gums that bleed easily
(HealthDay News) -- Gum disease, also called periodontal disease, is an infection of the tissues that surround the teeth. Potential risk factors include poor dental hygiene, smoking or chewing tobacco, and your family history of the disease.
The American Dental Association says potential warning signs of periodontal disease include:
- Gums that bleed easily, or are swollen, red or tender.
- Gums that are receding from the teeth.
- Frequent bad breath or a bad taste in your mouth.
- Loosening or separating of permanent teeth.
- A change in the way teeth align when you bite.
- A change in the way dentures fit.