Health Tip: Your Diabetes Health-Care Team
Who should be on it
(HealthDay News) -- If you have diabetes, you need more than just a primary care doctor to help manage your health.
The American Diabetes Association says other specialists also should be considered as part of a diabetic's medical team. They include:
- An endocrinologist, or a primary care physician with significant experience in treating diabetes.
- A registered nurse trained in diabetes care, who can help with day-to-day diabetes management concerns.
- A registered dietitian, who can help you decide your daily diet and help you learn how food affects your blood sugar.
- An eye doctor, who can check your eyes regularly for diabetes-related complications.
- A podiatrist, who regularly examines your feet.
- A dentist, who checks regularly for gum disease and other oral problems.
- An exercise physiologist, who teaches you how exercise can help control diabetes and prevent complications.
- A therapist or social worker, who can help you deal with the emotional aspects of having diabetes.