Health Tip: Understanding Metabolic Syndrome
It's a combination of risk factors for chronic disease
(HealthDay News) -- Metabolic syndrome is an umbrella term for a host of risk factors that increase your chances of developing heart disease, stroke and diabetes.
The Womenshealth.gov website says the conditions for metabolic syndrome are met if you have three or more of these risk factors:
- A waist measurement of greater than 35 inches for women, or greater than 40 inches for men.
- Triglycerides of higher than 150 mg/dL.
- HDL ("good") cholesterol of lower than 50 mg/dL.
- Systolic blood pressure (the top number) of 130 mm Hg or higher, or diastolic blood pressure (the bottom number) of 85 mm Hg or higher.
- Fasting blood glucose of more than 110 mg/dL.