(HealthDay News) -- Metabolic syndrome is a group of risk factors that are related to being overweight or obese. It increases the risk of serious health problems such as diabetes, heart disease and stroke.
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute says having three or more of the following conditions indicates metabolic syndrome:
- Having extra belly fat and a large waist.
- Having high amounts of triglycerides in the blood.
- Having low levels of HDL ("good") cholesterol.
- Having high blood pressure.
- Having high fasting blood sugar, which may indicate diabetes.