April 12, 2011
Health Tip: Help Foot Ulcers Heal
Here's what diabetics can do
(HealthDay News) -- People with diabetes may develop sores (ulcers) on the feet that may not heal quickly or easily.
The American Podiatric Medical Association suggests how to help promote healing and prevent infection of diabetic foot ulcers:
- Try to avoid applying pressure to the sore.
- Have dead skin around the wound removed.
- Keep the wound clean and apply medication as needed.
- Control blood glucose levels.
- Don't walk barefoot.
- Protect the ulcer with a dressing or bandage.