February 17, 2013
Health Tip: Help Prevent Foot Ulcers
Get regular checkups
(HealthDay News) -- Open wounds, or ulcers, can develop on the feet of people with diabetes, often due to poor blood circulation.
The American Podiatric Medical Association suggests how to help prevent foot ulcers:
- See a podiatrist regularly.
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Following your doctor's orders to help control cholesterol and blood glucose levels.
- Wear appropriate shoes and socks.
- Regularly inspect your feet and let your doctor know about any injuries or problems.