October 31, 2008
Health Tip: Living With an Insulin Pump
Suggestions to help you adjust
(HealthDay News) -- An insulin pump offers many benefits for diabetics, including better blood glucose control and greater convenience.
The American Diabetes Association offers these suggestions while getting used to your pump:
- Take your insulin at the same time each day.
- Carry an extra insulin pen or additional insulin with you when traveling.
- Talk to a dietitian about how to adjust your diet when you start using the pump.
- When you turn off your pump, devise a way to remind yourself to turn it back on.
- Regularly record and review all of your information, including blood glucose levels, carbohydrates, corrective doses and exercise.