Health Tip: Risk Factors for Type 2 Diabetes
Lifestyle is a major player
(HealthDay News) - Type 2 diabetes is a disease in which the body doesn't properly process the hormone insulin, which regulates blood sugar. This form of diabetes is controlled with medication, proper diet and exercise, and maintaining a healthy body weight, and normal blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
The National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse lists common risk factors for type 2 diabetes:
- Being overweight.
- Being over age 45.
- Having a family history of type 2 diabetes.
- Giving birth to a large baby (more than 9 pounds).
- Having high blood pressure or high cholesterol.
- Having a history of heart disease.
- Maintaining a sedentary lifestyle and getting little or no exercise.