Now Hear This
Ways to tell if your baby has hearing problems
Some health problems in infants can be tricky to spot. Deafness is one of them.
Here are some signs to look for, courtesy of the Calgary Health Region Education Services in Canada:
- a loud sound doesn't wake the baby;
- a new sound doesn't stop the baby from crying;
- the baby doesn't turn toward you or make eye contact when you speak to him;
- he doesn't make cooing sounds after 3 months;
- he doesn't babble and make sounds like "baba" after 9 months.
If you notice any of these signs or are unsure if your baby has a hearing problem, contact your pediatrician. Deafness can affect development of speech and language skills and impair social and emotional growth.