See What HealthDay Can Do For You
Contact Us

Secondhand Smoke May Damage Infants' Hearing

Mild levels of carbon monoxide impair hearing in young rats

FRIDAY, Oct. 17, 2003 (HealthDayNews) -- Can secondhand smoke and air pollution contribute to hearing loss in infants?

It's possible, say researchers from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), who found the low levels of carbon monoxide found in the environment may cause permanent hearing damage in babies.

In three studies directed by John Edmond, a professor of biological chemistry at UCLA, investigators found rat pups exposed to mild levels of carbon monoxide at levels deemed safe by the U.S. government (between nine and 50 parts per million) suffered permanent hearing dysfunction.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, poisonous gas that is a byproduct of combustion. In the environment, it is commonly produced by tobacco smoke and auto emissions. Carbon monoxide readily replaces the oxygen in blood, and in large enough amounts (1,000 parts per million) can be fatal.

In each study, rat pups were exposed to carbon monoxide levels, ranging between 12 and 100 parts per million. These rats were in the critical early weeks of life, when they experience a brain growth spurt, the beginning of nerve development and the rapid development of the auditory pathway -- the nerves responsible for hearing.

The researchers compared these rats with control rat pups that were raised in environments without added carbon monoxide. They performed behavioral tests and brain studies to find the differences between the groups of rodents.

"Everything we have done in these experiments has been at carbon monoxide levels that exist in the environment and have been considered safe," Edmond says.

The reports are published in the Dec. 1 issue of the Journal of Neuroscience Research and are available online Oct. 17.

In the first study, Janet Stockard-Sullivan, an audiologist from the University of South Florida, looked at cognitive and auditory function. Her team found that while carbon monoxide exposure of less than 50 parts per million did not alter learning, nerve development in the auditory pathway was damaged.

"In rat pups exposed to low levels of carbon monoxide, the response of the auditory nerve was reduced compared with that of the rats not exposed to carbon monoxide," Stockard-Sullivan says.

Given this finding, "Secondhand smoke might have an effect on the hearing of babies and more research is needed," she says.

In the second study, a team led by Douglas Webber of UCLA examined the brains of rats to detect changes that carbon monoxide might cause in cell development in the auditory pathway. The scientists found carbon monoxide exposure at concentrations up to 50 parts per million showed a marked decrease in the number of cells expressing c-Fos, a marker of neural development.

In the third study, Ivan Lopez, an assistant professor of surgery at UCLA, and his colleagues analyzed the sensory receptor cells and their neurons in the cochlea of rat pups. Damage to hearing was seen with exposure of as little as 25 parts per million, according to the report.

"We found some damage to the neurons in the inner ear of the rats exposed to carbon monoxide," Lopez says. "There was a loss of nerve fibers that send information to the brain."

Based on the findings, Lopez believes that infants exposed to low concentrations of carbon monoxide may suffer hearing damage. Exposure can result from secondhand smoke and other environmental pollution, he says.

Edmond notes that because carbon monoxide is found in the blood and can cross the blood-placenta barrier, damage to an infant's hearing may occur in the womb.

"Since people started smoking, driving cars and living in highly industrialized areas, there has been a constant low level of carbon monoxide in the air," Edmond says. These study results suggest these low levels of carbon monoxide are not safe, but might cause permanent damage, he says.

Susan Shore from the Kresge Hearing Research Institute at the University of Michigan, says that "all the studies sound plausible, and the findings certainly have applications to human auditory pathways."

Shore believes that the same damage to hearing caused by carbon monoxide exposure in the rats can take place in humans. She notes that there are ways of testing this theory in humans that are minimally invasive and safe.

More information

To learn more about hearing loss, visit the National Institute on Deafness and other Communication Disorders or the National Association of the Deaf.

SOURCES: John Edmond, Ph.D, professor, biological chemistry, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA); Janet Stockard-Sullivan, audiologist, University of South Florida, Tampa; Ivan Lopez, Ph.D., assistant professor, surgery, UCLA; Susan E. Shore, Ph.D., Kresge Hearing Research Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor; Dec. 1, 2003, Journal of Neuroscience Research
Consumer News

HealthDay

HealthDay is the world’s largest syndicator of health news and content, and providers of custom health/medical content.

Consumer Health News

A health news feed, reviewing the latest and most topical health stories.

Professional News

A news feed for Health Care Professionals (HCPs), reviewing latest medical research and approvals.