Health Tip: Soothe a Bunion
Suggestions to get relief
(HealthDay News) -- A bunion occurs when the joint that connects the big toe to the foot grows larger, forcing the big toe to bend toward the other toes. This leads to a painful lump, making it difficult to wear shoes.
The American Podiatric Medical Association suggests how to ease bunion pain:
- Place a bunion pad around the swollen area. The pad should be non-medicated.
- Wear shoes with plenty of room in the toes.
- If the bunion swells and causes pain, ice the bunion several times a day.
- If you wear heels, make sure they're no higher than 2 inches.
- See a podiatrist if you don't get relief from the previous suggestions.