Health Tip: Protect Your Skin Against Winter Weather
Moisturize and use sunscreen to combat the cold and wind's effects
(HealthDay News) -- Warnings about skin protection abound in summer, but it's important to maintain proper skin care in winter, too.
Dry, itchy skin is common in these months, so it's necessary to moisturize.
Heres a list of winter skin-care tips, courtesy of the American Academy of Dermatology:
- Apply moisturizers within three minutes of exiting a bath or shower.
- Wear and reapply a sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher to combat the damaging rays of the sun, usually reflected by snow.
- Use a lip balm with an SPF of 15 or higher to prevent chapped lips.
- Use a humidifier to keep the humidity in your house higher in winter months.
- Dab petroleum jelly on problem areas to heal dry skin.
- After washing hands, immediately apply hand cream to seal in moisture.