November 27, 2014
Health Tip: Easing Hand Eczema
Gloves can help protect the skin
(HealthDay News) -- Working with harsh chemicals or doing heavy-duty work with your hands can worsen hand eczema, leaving hands dry and cracked.
The National Eczema Association offers these preventive suggestions:
- If your hands get wet, use cotton glove liners and neoprene or vinyl gloves. Wash gloves frequently.
- If your hands remain dry, wear fabric or leather work gloves.
- Avoid industrial hand cleansers that may contain harsh, irritating ingredients.
- Bring to work a bottle of gentle hand cleanser, as well as moisturizer and any skin medication.
- Make sure all work surfaces, tools, protective gear and clothing are clean.
- Promptly care for any minor wounds on your hands.