January 12, 2010
Health Tip: Preparing for Winter Weather
Suggestions for staying warm
(HealthDay News) -- Outdoor chores and activities are much tougher when you must contend with snow, ice and frigid temperatures.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these suggestions:
- Dress in lots of layers, protecting your skin with a scarf, hat, gloves and waterproof boots.
- Sprinkle cat litter or sand on slippery areas.
- Pay attention to both the temperature and wind chill before heading outdoors.
- Take your time and do any outdoor chores slowly.
- When going outside in frigid weather, carry a cell phone, an emergency kit and bring a buddy, if possible.