August 19, 2012
Health Tip: Am I at Risk for Gallstones?
Check your family history
(HealthDay News) -- Gallstones are small, pebble-like substances that form in the gallbladder, causing pain and discomfort.
The U.S. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse says risk factors for developing gallstones include:
- Being a woman, especially if you are pregnant, taking birth control pills or on hormone replacement therapy.
- Having a family history of gallstones.
- Being of native American or Mexican heritage.
- Being overweight or eating a high-fat, high-cholesterol diet.
- Losing weight quickly.
- Being 60 or older.
- Being diabetic.
- Taking a cholesterol-lowering drug.