Health Tip: Preventing Hemorrhoids
(HealthDay News) -- About 75 percent of adults will have occasional hemorrhoids, Mayo Clinic says.
Hemorrhoids are swollen veins in the anus and rectum that can cause itching, pain, bleeding and discomfort.
To help prevent hemorrhoids, Mayo Clinic recommends:
- Eat high-fiber foods, such as fruits and vegetables.
- Drink six to eight glasses of water each day.
- Take fiber supplements.
- Don't strain while you're trying to pass a stool.
- Go to the bathroom as soon as you feel the urge.
- Stay active and avoid long periods of sitting.