Health Tip: Preventing a Hernia
(HealthDay News) -- A hernia occurs when part of the body protrudes through the wall of muscle or tissue that contains it, says Cleveland Clinic.
From weakened muscles to repeated strains of the abdominal and groin areas, a hernia has a variety of causes.
To prevent a hernia, Cleveland Clinic suggests:
- Maintain an ideal body weight. Eat a healthy diet, and exercise.
- Eat fruits, vegetables and whole grains to avoid constipation.
- Use correct form when lifting weights or heavy objects.
- See a doctor when you have a persistent cough or are sneezing.
- Do not smoke. The practice can lead to coughing that triggers a hernia.