(HealthDay News) -- Dry, itchy skin can be annoying and even painful. Fortunately, it's mostly preventable.
The American Academy of Dermatology suggests:
- Take lukewarm baths and showers, and don't stay too long. Carefully pat skin dry, and apply moisturizer as soon as you get out.
- Opt for a thick moisturizing cream or ointment instead of lotion.
- Choose fragrance-free products, which tend to be less drying and irritating.
- Run a humidifier to keep the air moist.
- Skip wool and rough fabrics. Instead, opt for 100 percent cotton and other "breathable" fabrics.
- Wash hands frequently, or use hand sanitizer. Use a thick hand cream after each washing.