November 24, 2016
Health Tip: Coping With a Muscle Cramp
Start with some gentle stretching
(HealthDay News) -- A painful muscle cramp can occur if you don't stretch before a workout.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons recommends:
- Stopping any activity that led to the cramp.
- Slowly and gently stretching the muscle. Hold it in that position until the cramp subsides.
- Gently massaging the muscle while stretching it to help it relax.
- Applying heat if the muscle and others nearby are tight and tense.
- Applying cold if the muscles are sore and tender.