Health Tip: Caring for Skin With Rosacea
Suggestions for applying makeup
(HealthDay News) -- Rosacea is a facial skin condition that causes red areas on the cheeks, nose, chin or forehead. Cosmetics, properly applied, can do wonders for improving your appearance and self-confidence, the National Rosacea Society says.
The society offers these suggestions.
- Start by gently cleaning and moisturizing your skin with products recommended for skin with rosacea. Never rub, pull or irritate your skin.
- Don't use a lot of cosmetics. Instead, use just a few that work well for you.
- Look for products that are multi-use, such as a foundation with sunscreen. Also, use a foundation or base with a green tint that will counter rosacea's redness.
- If you use foundation and concealer, look for oil-free options. Concealer should be about one shade lighter than the color of your skin.
- Gently apply foundation with an antibacterial brush and smooth it across the face, starting in the center.
- If using a powder, look for a mineral-based product to mask redness (look for a yellow tone) and reduce irritation.