September 8, 2009
Health Tip: Help Prevent Pinkeye
Suggestions to minimize your child's risk
(HealthDay News) -- Conjunctivitis, commonly called pinkeye, is a highly contagious infection.
The Nemours Foundation offers these suggestions to protect your child and help reduce pinkeye's spread:
- Teach your child to wash hands frequently, using soap and warm water.
- Tell your child to never share products such as eye makeup, washcloths, eye drops, pillowcases or towels.
- Limit exposure to allergens by keeping windows closed (when outdoor allergen levels are high) and vacuuming often.
- After you've cared for a child with pinkeye, wash your hands thoroughly, and discard anything used to clean the eyes.
- Carefully wash in very hot water, and separate from other washables, any towels or linens that the infected child used.